The Municipal Library of Larnaka started its operation in September 1955 with 5000 volumes during the mayoralty of Georgios Christodoulides. At first, it was housed in the old Town Hall in Athinon Avenue, but in the middle of the 1960s, a new building was built with a donation of Zina Kanther where the library is now housed at the corner of Grivas Digenis Avenue and Leonidas Kiouppis Street, behind Eleftherias Statue. Since then, the Municipal Library has operated with fixed working hours.
Since July 1984, the Library has been operating as a lending one. Today, the Municipal Library of Larnaka has 42.000 books. Also, the Citizen can find the gazette of the government, minutes of Parliament’s resolutions as well as a variety of journals. The present goal is the education, the spiritual entertainment of the Citizen and the research on issues of the Cyprus History, Archaeology and research for the city in all the periods of its history.
The readership of the Municipal Library was significantly increased after the foundation and operation of the University of Cyprus, Private Schools and Colleges in the city of Larnaka apart from the Public Schools of Primary and Secondary Education that have been served for a few years now.
Address: Corner of Leonidas Kioupis and Gregoris Afxentiou streets
Telephone No.: 24654185
Electronic search of library catalogue:
University of Cyprus